Monday, November 29, 2010

Curried Squid


Sometimes recipes disappointment me and I know that part of the fault lies with me and my tendency to take liberty with certain ingredients. Who knew that just a few tablespoons extra coconut milk would completely wash out all other flavors? Well, I suppose I should have known that but ignored that logic and went ahead with my instinctive desire for MORE, leaving me with bland coconut squid. I will also lay some blame in the frozen squid hoods I used: I would have bought fresh but the thought of cleaning those things - removing tentacles, head and innards, then peeling the skin off - was in itself too much work, so I went the easy route and suffered through the resulting chewiness. I wanted to enjoy this recipe - I love (cooked) squid - but just couldn't get into it. I'll give you the recipe as written in the book so you can make it without my adjustments. Or, if you know a better curried squid recipe by all means let me know - I still want to like it!



Curried Squid
The Food of India

2lb fresh or frozen squid
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp coriander seeds
1tsp chili powder
1/2tsp ground turmeric
1tbsp oil
1 onion, finely chopped
10 curry leaves
1/2tsp fenugreek seeds
4 garlic cloves, minced
3-inch piece of ginger, grated
4tbsp coconut milk powder mixed with 2/3cup water
3tbsp lime juice

1. Clean squids if using fresh. Cut hoods into 1-inch rings.

2. Place a small frying pan over low heat and dry-roast the cumin until aromatic. Remove, then dry-roast the coriander. Grind both to a fine powder with the chili and turmeric using a spice grinder or mortar & pestle. Mix the spices with the squid.

3. Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan and fry the onion until lightly browned. Add the curry leaves, fenugreek, garlic, ginger and coconut. Bring slowly to the boil. Add the squid, then stir well. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until cooked tender. Stir in the lime juice, season with salt and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment