Friday, March 11, 2011

Grapefruit Granita


I find it difficult to blog while watching Top Chef but if I keep putting this off it just won't happen. Some good news: Seth and I have finally finished trekking around the States collecting all of our stuff! Last week we flew to San Diego to pick up my car - and see my fabulous friend, Kerry - where I managed to pick up a Showgirls tattoo and eat the best pizza of my life at a winery in Escondido. Oh, the wine was also pretty tasty, but seriously: pizza, hot damn.

However, this is not my attempt at recreating that delicious pie but my attempt to use more of those damn grapefruit stubbornly sitting outside. Over a week ago I made grapefruit curd (with whipped cream stirred in, making it seem more like chiffon than curd) and, of course, the candied peels, and while I have been hoping to use the fruit in some savory dish I ended up making a grapefruit granita thanks to the suggestion of my sister and the super-easy recipe that shouted to me from Amanda Hesser's The Essential New York Times Cookbook.


I don't you think can get any easier than this. Some grapefruit juice, some champagne, some orange liqueur - boom. I didn't add any sugar as my grapefruits were insanely sweet and I can only recommend to use champagne/ sparkling wine that costs more than $7.50, though the cheap stuff still created a pretty tasty ice. I imagine better bubbly would only make the granita, well, better. Oh, and don't skip the zest at the end: it truly ties everything together.


Grapefruit Granita
 The Essential New York Times Cookbook: Classic Recipes for a New Century, Amanda Hesser

2cups fresh red or pink grapefruit juice (from about 3 grapefruit), strained
1cup Sauternes or Champagne (or sparkling wine)
1 1/2tsp sugar, or to taste
1 large red or pink grapefruit
1tbsp Grand Marnier
Grated zest of 1 yuzu or 2 limes

1. Combine the juice and Champagne in a medium bowl. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Pout into an 8x10-inch baking pan. Place in the freezer for several hours, or until completely frozen.

2. Meanwhile, peel and segment the grapefruit, discarding the membrane. Cut each segment into quarters.

3. Scrape the granita with a thin-tined fork to create loose crystals. Transfer to a large air-tight container. Stir in the grapefruit segments. Freeze again.

4. To serve, divide the granita among 6 dessert bowls. Pour 1/2 teaspoon Grand Marnier over each and sprinkle with the zest.

No comments:

Post a Comment